Quinoa Salad with Apples, Walnuts and Aged Cheddar
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 c water
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed and sliced on a bias
- ½ c chopped walnuts (toasting is optional)
- ⅔ c Pastures Cheese, diced
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 2 t maple syrup
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the stove and fluff with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cider vinegar, maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, while continuously whisking. Set aside.
- If toasting the walnuts, place them in a skillet set over medium high heat and cook for 5-10 minutes or until fragrant. Shake the pan around a few times to toast all sides.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, apples, celery, walnuts and cheese. Drizzle the dressing over top and toss to stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper and serve.